Pain in the neck is a common medical condition that affects a large number of people. Postural problems and craning the neck forward while sitting in front of a computer or watching television are some of the biggest reasons people experience this condition. The fine balance of the nerves, muscles, and joints in the neck are disturbed causing strain and irritation.
Causes for Neck Pain
People experience neck pain due to several reasons. These include:
• Problems with any of the tissues in the neck
• Degenerative disc diseases
• Neck strain,
• Spinal Stenosis,
• Cervical Spondylosis,
• Herniated or Degenerative discs
• Pinched nerves
Problems with the neck can cause severe headache, shoulder pain, jaw pain or TMJ, pins and needles in the hands, carpal tunnel syndrome, and upper back pain.
Common symptoms of Neck Pain
• Pain is experienced in the neck first thing in the morning
• Stiffness or pain while trying to turn the neck
• Snap/clicking sound while turning the neck sideways
• Constantly aching neck muscles
• Tingling sensation in the hand or on the fingers
How is Neck Pain Treated?
Based on a thorough diagnosis, some of the treatments we can provide at Mount Isa Physiotherapy include:
• Postural advice to avoid further strain
• Spinal Decompression Therapy
• Dry Needling
• Spinal mobilizations, on a wide range, to restore movements of the neck vertebrae
• Massage to ease the strain and for healthy functioning of the muscles
• Neck exercises for improved movement
• Strengthening exercises for the neck
• Heat/ice therapy to reduce the pain
• Contour pillows with curved designs that adapt to the head, neck, and shoulder
If you are experiencing neck pain, then a correct diagnosis and treatment is essential. Get in touch with our clinic today to learn about how we can treat your neck pain.